A New Year on the Horizon: 3 Goals for 2015

Each year for me ends with a reflection on the previous twelve months, a review of last year’s goals, and goal-setting for the year to come. I can attribute much of my progress and evolution, particularly in my career, to clear goal-setting and revisiting my intentions often. I normally break these down into short, medium and long-term goals, but for the purposes of this post, I’ll keep it to the bigger picture. I recently included these in my newsletter with more of a backstory, if you’d like to read that, too.

Before I continue with my goals, I’d like to say thank you to my community, supportive readers, mentors and clients. It has been one of my more challenging years, but I feel so blessed with rich relationships – in work and in life. I also feel blessed with experiences, such as touring the South Pacific with my family, outdoor adventures, frequent publishing opportunities, and new ventures with my career. I am excited to tell you more about those ventures in the New Year. ;)

3 Goals for 2015

1. Focus less on the things I naturally do well.

I am not an extreme perfectionist, but I care about the quality of my work and often worry that it’s not good enough. I need to learn to trust in my experience and expertise, and focus instead on the areas I want to improve.

2. Commit to personal wellness.

If you’ve been following along closely, I’ve had a year of ups and downs on the health-front – physically, emotionally and psychologically. A good portion of that is due to self-neglect and poor priorities. My health and wellness needs to come first, and I need to arrange my schedule around that goal.

3. Seek counsel before I say Yes or No.

Often my default is to have a knee-jerk reaction. I say “Yes” without thinking. I have needed to train myself to pause and reflect, and request I take time to consider my options before committing to anything. This is one area where I could do even better. This year I want to seek counsel with my husband or another listening ear to discuss my options before I decide on any new commitments.

What are your goals for this upcoming year? I’d love for you to share them with me by simply replying in the comments. I always find it enlightening to know what others are working towards.

Goal setting helps me focus on what's really important in life. Photo by Paul Zizka.

Goal-setting helps me focus on what’s really important in life. Photo by Paul Zizka Photography.

All the best for 2015,

Meghan

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “A New Year on the Horizon: 3 Goals for 2015

1. nurturingspace says:

A wise woman once told me that before saying ‘yes’ to anything that takes more than 2 hours of my time, to spend 2 days thinking about it first. I must say that I have not employed that wisdom enough.

2. Plaban sahoo says:

My 2 goals:- a. ‘to do’ and not keep thinking about it.
    b. to do it ‘NOW’, and that means ‘now’, and not in new year

and therefore, i am off to the beautiful winter sunshine, in Bangalore, India.

u r amazing, Meghan. want to travel like you.

3. Kurtis says:

i have spent the last year conditioning myself for long distance running. I’ve never been a natural, determined or disciplined enough but now I’m at a point far beyond mental motivation for long runs. It feels good and has even changed a lot of my lifestyle for the good. One of my goals this year is to do an ultra or some cross country run over 50K.

• Meghan J. Ward says:

That’s amazing, Kurtis! I’m not much of a runner, but I think it has very meditative qualities when you get into the rhythm. I can see how you find it appealing. That’s a lofty goal, and a good one!

• Kurtis says:

Thanks Meg. It is very much a meditative thing and once your body is conditioned, it is all about motivation. Good way to reduce emotional stress too. Good luck with your choices this year.

4. Sean McIntyre (@Sean_Driftwood) says:

Thanks for this and your many other inspiring posts. I can totally relate to the need to think before saying yes. At times, it feels like my life has become overwhelmed by the commitments I’ve made through a simple but poorly thought out yes. Not only is it easy to overcommit but I find it hard to extricate myself from those responsibilities once I’ve taken them on; the result is clearly physically and mentally unsustainable.

Have a great year.

• Meghan J. Ward says:

Thanks for your comment, Sean. I’m sorry about the delay with my reply! I know what you mean about having a hard time extricating yourself from responsibilities. We really can’t do it all! I want to do less and give a bit more of myself to each thing.